Last night, Jon's boss Shamim, planned an evening Iftar dinner to "break the fast" and honor Jon for his 2 years in Dubai! She even spoke how Dubai wouldn't be an office if it wasn't for Jon and his million dollar project with downtown Burj Dubai. Everyone from the office was invited and attended. It was a perfectly wonderful evening. Our table had so much laughing, eating, joking, and talking going on we just didn't want to stop!! We literally got kicked out of the restaurant as they wanted to clean-up for the night and we weren't moving!! The food was yummy and plentiful and it was very relaxing as an Arabic duo played soothing traditional tunes.
Now...here's just a few funny sidebars from the night...
1. Irshad, Shamim's husband, talked about how women are stronger than men...and that men are more visual and women are emotional. This also included conversation about Muslim men being able to marry more than one woman...funny thing though...Shamim pipes up and says..."Irshad...go ahead...you'll get your Dubai visa taken away"...see holds their visa & she is the only one in their family working right now as he is studying for his bar exam!! He then says, "No problem...I'll just find someone else to sponsor me!!" Of course...he was totally joking!! At least his visa doesn't read housewife or houseman like mine!!
2. Irshad also said...that men can ONLY be away from the home for a few days before they are "tempted" to cheat...let me tell you...this didn't go over very well!! (sidebar...he is a phyciatrist...and very smart...but sure isn't lacking on the sense of humor...we LOVED him!)
3. Bassel, another employee, (a handsome YOUNG man) told us his life story and how he has dated two girls seriously and is now happily married to one of them...the girls have the same "exotic" name (can't remember it today) and they happen to be cousins!! Mind you...they really aren't on speaking terms!! And girl #1 didn't attend the wedding...wonder why??!!
4. Jon, my lovely hubby, swore he had NEVER EVER HEARD of RICE PUDDING BEFORE and that I was "high" when I said I've eaten it at his mom's house & it's a Swedish tradition & his mom has made it on Christmas Eve for the family more than ONCE in our 16 years together!! (In the meantime...Gammy has concluded she indeed has made it, it is a Swedish tradition, she likes how the house smells when she makes it, but is usually the only one who eats it!) Jill his sister has stuck up for Jon and assures me that she and Jon don't like it. However; if they don't like it...it means lovely Jon has indeed tried it and should have heard of it before...I think I am still peeing my pants over all of this!! I think you had to be there!! (reason this came up...an Arabic dessert much like rice pudding with a rose after taste...it got us all started on "what it's called in America?"
5. Back to Irshad talking about "men being visual" and "women wanting safety and security...and being provided for"...this conversation provoked Aaron to say outloud and proud..."This makes total sense and explains why these two beautiful women are with these two ugly guys"...Jon's face dropped and he responded, "ARE YOU CALLING me ugly?" "You can call me FAT but you can't call me ugly!" You should have seen Jon's face!!
6. I was getting in "trouble" by Jon for talking too loudly ( I have attendancy to do this) and then TWO SECONDS later Zayneb, Shamim's daughter who's 3 1/2, screams out...Mommy...super duper loudly...why you ask...her pants fell down...to the ground!! She is a tiny little thing and obviously didn't eat enough at the Iftar buffet!! She was standing there with pants around her ankles!!
All I know is I could go on and on...it was a hysterical and enjoyable evening...and can you believe this...there was NO ALCOHOL involved. During a Ramadan Iftar...alcohol isn't allowed since Muslim people don't drink in the first place!!
Again, thanks Shamim...it was perfect!!! I will think back and smile everytime I think about this evening!! Sure wish I could come next year...perhaps we'll join the table on Skype...don't want to miss out!!
No comments:
Post a Comment