This past Sunday, Fayth's preschool had a "Mother's Day Tea." I was so excited to go I could hardly stand it. We both got "dressed up a bit" and walked to school. We, of course, brought homemade cupcakes...no "homemade treat" rules here in the middle east...but the teachers think cupcakes are all I can make!! I need to switch it up next time!!
Anyway, I tend to get wordy...The real story...
As soon as we arrived we were presented with cards and laminated bookmarks from our kids. Must have been a hint from the little lady of the house for me to start reading...he he he...More than just Ahlan! (middle east gossip and fashion) and Time Out Dubai. Well, I didn't cry but almost...the card was so cute and how excited she got to give it to me was even cuter. It was a perfect minute!!
Now, how to ruin the moment...We were asked to make a plate and sit down to enjoy some food. Fayth was being a little naughty...imagine that! The other kids, both younger and older, were sitting nicely eating with their mommies and my daughter would take a bite and run off to the toys...then she'd come back...I'd ask her to please sit with me...and she would just give me the LOOK! Well, the teachers then chimed in and said, "Fayth...we are not playing now...we are eating with our mommies." Oh, goodness...at that moment I knew my embarrassed days are just beginning!! How could I go from almost tears, that she just made me the cutest card in the world, to wanting to "beat her!" My blood was boiling and my teacher radar was about to go off. Then we headed outside and I watched her play, as the makeup ran down my face, in the 42 degree Celsius heat. Five minutes into outdoor play, she shut the playhouse door on a little boy so he couldn't come in and that was it!! She was being a little nasty and I was going to get nasty!!! She is NEVER like this when I'm not around. The teachers rave how wonderful, well mannered, charming, funny, compassionate and helpful to others she is...ha...she surely was in a mood because truly she is a good girl!!
At this point, I thought we should quietly make our way to the door. We politely thanked all the teachers and headed for home. I pushed the stroller and gave her a two year old lecture. The real kicker...she was passed out COLD and I was talking to a 'dead to the world' two year old!! I didn't realize this until the mirrors in the elevator.
Oh, well...there's always next year. And when I see my card & bookmark, my frustrations go away!!
Did I love my first Mother's Day Tea?? YES I DID!!
1 comment:
I have this vision of you ranking as you are walking down the side walk and strangers looking at you like your nuts. Aren't little ones a joy--most days, really they are. Laughing in Iowa.
Post a Comment