Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Beach to Slopes!!

Yesterday, RuthAnne, Tom and I went from the sunny hot beach to the freezing cold ski slopes of "Ski Dubai" at the Mall of the Emirates!
Our first stop, the beach for some photos, shells, and dunking our toes in the Arabian Gulf. Our cab driver said he had the perfect public beach...so glad I listened to him...we now have a new perfect "beach spot" to take Fayth to. It was just gorgeous!!
Then, the highlight of their trip for ME!!!!!!!!!! YES...I was like a kid in a candy store. We hit the slopes of "Ski Dubai" and after the initial, "Oh, SH*%...do I remember how to do this?" it was an absolute blast!! What most of you don't know about me...I was a daredevil "snowbunny" in my "younger years!!" Like WELL OVER 15 years ago my mom and I would hit the slopes together, on days off of school, and head to Cascade Mountain or Devil's Head and have a blast. We loved skiing together. My family also took ski vacations to Colorado as a kid. Well, yesterday, it came back just like riding a bike and OH...DID WE HAVE FUN!! Tom use to be a ski instructor and is an old pro & RuthAnne...well that's a whole other story...she is quite good...doesn't give herself enough credit...but had a minor accident yesterday...she ran into a cement wall!! All I heard was an echo"CRASH" in the manmade ski area...I was at the top of the slope still...quick looked over...and she is laughing her ass off because she crashed into a WALL...like she said...if she would have been on a real ski slope it would have just been an evergreen tree or edge of a mountain not a cement wall. God, she is funny!!! We laughed so hard, I took photos to prove it, and we continued our skiing. Luckily, we all left with only one fall each...me...I tripped over my pole!! The facility has the park passes, skiing, equipment, clothing, socks, poles, etc...down to a science. For 50 US dollars you get to ski for two hours and have a jacket, pants, socks, and all your ski equipment provided. You only have to buy your hat and gloves. The man "sized" us up and handed us the perfect fit of clothing. We hit the "escalator" (which is hysterical within itself) and headed outside (inside) to the freezing cold. It was so cold my eyes were tearing as I skied down the hill. I just can't believe how cool it really is...cheesy or not...it's a must see or do when visiting Dubai!! Sure hope future guests like to ski as well...I'm game if they do!! Maybe the "Mogul Monster" can make a return like "Boozie Suzie" did!! Dubai is only seeing the 'best'
of me!! Oh, and I almost forgot...the BEST part...you ski to rocking music like "Solider Boy! Now that is cool!!
***A final thought*** "Who'd a thought five years ago my 1st grade teammate and I would be skiing a mountain in a mall...in the desert...in the middle east??" Really, isn't life weird??

2 comments:

Robin said...

Looks like SO much fun!

ra said...

Not as sore today as I thought I would be... even after my meeting with the wall!!!